Monday, June 6, 2011

Tumble Weeds

OK, they aren't really weeds. But they do grow fast!


Last week my girls participated in a 3 day gymnastics camp. It focused on tumbling skills. They had a friend join the class as well, so it was doubly exciting for them. I strongly believe the teacher was rethinking her decision to work with 4-6 year olds that week. I don't know. I could be wrong.


Everyone was concerned my Littlest Girl might not make it through, but she did. Honestly, when she gets over her fears, she could do just about anything she wants. Her focus and stubbornness can only help her when she gets older. (As of right now, her focus and stubbornness puts her in the corner a lot of times.)

So the first day, I stayed the whole time in case she became overwhelmed. She got permission to return the second day. (Good job, Littlest Girl!) So I went shopping the second day. The third day I was in and out of class. When I got back the last time, I witnessed a VERY opinionated four year old telling...no...loudly directing... to her teacher to LET. GO. OF ME! while she was trying to help her do a somersault.

So I watched. Barely avoiding the stigma of being that Hysterical Mortified Mom Yelling From Across the Gymnasium at her Littlest Girl to Listen and Obey Her Teacher!! I Don't Care Who's Listening!! You know the one. Well, that is apparently me. I couldn't believe the mouth on my girl. I wanted to yank her right out of there and go have a VERY one-sided discussion in the car about respect and instruction and....well, you get the idea.

ANYWAY, in that split second of me holding my tongue, the Littlest Girl and her teacher worked it out. And somehow, her teacher acted like this was nothing out of the ordinary. Because I'm sure it's not. Not with other little ones at least.

Unfortunately, I have heard reports from others that my Littlest Girl also has opinions in other places. Loud ones. Rebellious ones. Opinions that stem from fear and the desire to control her environment. At the ripe old age of four. And other people are too nice/scared/lazy/compassionate to call her on it. And that's okay. Because it's my responsibility to teach her what I can at home. And it is my responsibility to let natural consequences take place when she is out of my care.

My hope is that her fear and control issues won't keep her from enjoying new experiences. Or common experiences to their fullest potential. (Because she won't try them or because she is in time out.) This is my hope because her mom is a lot like her. And I know I've missed good things because of my fears.

All I can do is point her to those things. And to the One that really controls all of those things.

And remind her she has unconditional love at home, so she can let go of her fear,

jump as high as she can,

and fly through the air!

No comments:

Post a Comment