Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Pancakes and Plastic Bags


You may have noticed. We eat a lot of pancakes in this house.
They are not necessarily my favorite thing, but my girls love them. And I have found ways to make them a tad healthier, since we eat them on a regular basis. I am BY NO MEANS a chef. I start with a Jiffy Mix base, then add whatever sounds good and/or healthy.

Here are a few concoctions I have tried. Invented by myself or others:

Sausage Pancake Casserole
Flourless Pumpkin Pancakes with Apple Butter
PB&J on Banana Pancakes
Triple Berry Flaxseed Pancakes
Pecan Cranberry Wheat Bran Flaxseed Pancakes
Cherry Vanilla Almond Pancakes
Banana Chocolate Chip Pancakes with Almond Milk
Almond Vanilla Oat Pancakes with Flaxseed and Cinnamon
Cinnamon Applesauce Pancakes

We RARELY eat them with syrup. (Read: If I am gone and Brian feeds them they get syrup.) I usually top them with yogurt or cottage cheese. Maybe fruit or wheat germ if I have it.

One batch is enough for breakfast and leftovers. I freeze them and pop them in the toaster the next time the girls want some. The pancakes even have their own special bag. I don't know if this makes me a tightwad, but many times I will just save the plastic bag I froze them in. I save it in the freezer. Pull it out the next time I make more. I think there is more than one in there right now. I hope my freezer doesn't turn into a graveyard for plastic bags. That would kind of defeat my purpose of pseudo-recycling.

Anyway, if you have questions about pancakes, I probably won't know the answer. But I will never, ever judge you on your original pancake creations.

1 comment:

  1. Pancake weather for sure! We love them too. Probably my 12 year old's favorite food, ever! Love your combo ideas.

    ReplyDelete