Saturday, October 15, 2011

How Imelda Got Started.


My Littlest Girl and I went to Target yesterday. She needed a new pair of shoes. Well, if you know me at all, "need" is a subjective word. But she is finicky about her shoes, and her favorite pair had fallen apart, and every day we have struggled as she looks in her closet with 10 pairs of shoes and declared she doesn't have any. So, for "Mommy Time," we went to find shoes. I let her pick them out. She chose disco ball mary janes. It was all good.

While we were there, I met a Grandma and her Grandbaby. Grandbaby was about three. Grandma was pushing Grandbaby in the cart. As they were walking down the aisle, Grandma asked, "Do you like these shoes? Do you like those shoes? Which ones do you like?" I smiled and made some comment about our little ones choosing their own shoes. She replied, "Well, I bought her those Skecher Twinkle Toes after she swore she'd wear them. She wore them once, and won't put them on again!" (At that point I offered to buy them from her, but she declined. "Grandbaby might still wear them sometime.")

Side note: My Littlest Girl is picky, too. (see above.) She is picky because she gets blisters very easily, which is why I refrain from buying her $40 shoes. Although she does have a tendency to like the hand me down Stride Rites and Pedipeds she receives.

So I turned my attention towards My Littlest Girl, and watched the two out of the corner of my eye. Presently, the Mom appeared. She had in her hand some fairy dolls. She proceeded to say to Grandma and Grandbaby, "I think we should only get one treat this time. Honey, would you like the dolls or some shoes?" Grandbaby picked dolls. So Mom put them in her cart, and disappeared again.

The minute she left, I overheard Grandma say, "So, Honey, would you like these shoes? Do you like white? Pink? Oh, these are cute!"

And as My Littlest Girl and I rounded the corner to leave, I heard Imelda Marcos laughing in the distance.

No comments:

Post a Comment