Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Volleyball

I like volleyball. I've been playing it for well over 30 years now. I may not be as quick or jump as high as I did when I was in high school, but I have gained some wisdom that still makes me a decent player.

My daughters do not recognize this, however.

Last week, they came to one of my games. I play on a women's league. On my team, everyone is younger than me. No problem. That's where the wisdom part is helpful. The girls were sitting with a friend, watching me play. During one of the matches, I dove a couple of times to save the ball. The girls started talking quickly with my friend. She was laughing.

When I had a chance, I asked the girls what they said. E was relatively concerned. She said, "You are too old to play volleyball. You had a birthday, remember?"
I did have a birthday this month, and it was a big one. I didn't think it had affected my game play so quickly, so I said, "Why do you think I"m too old?
She replied, "Because you fall down on the floor when you play!"
I'm so glad she said that, and not, "Because you're slower than the other players," or "You make more mistakes than the other players," or something equally as depressing.

So I told her, "You're supposed to dive on the floor when you play volleyball." And she looked slightly less concerned and a little more confused.

Whew. Dodged a bullet there. Can't wait to see how she critiques me when she gets a little older.

No comments:

Post a Comment