Friday, February 4, 2011

Happy 4th Birthday, My Littlest Girl


At this time four years ago, we had one baby who hadn't turned a year old yet. I was amazed that we had been entrusted to this little life, and was savoring every moment. After her finalization, we told our social worker that we were ready to be put on the list for another baby. We fully expected it to be a year wait. That was in September. On this day, four years ago, we were still waiting. But God had already brought this little life into the world. God, and her birthparents, to whom we are so grateful.
In some ways, it's hard to remember that today is her birthday. We didn't even know she existed until around the 22nd of February. And we picked her up on the 24th. So to me, the 24th seems more like her birthday. But by that time, she was 3 weeks old. A 3 week old, 4 1/2 lb, screaming little girl. She was 4 weeks early, so when we got her she was almost to her due date. (Which, by the way, is the week of my birthday.) She was tiny! At 4 1/2 lbs, I could put her in my sling and forget she was there! I can gain and lose 4 1/2 lbs in a day or two. She was very small. But she made a big impact.
All of a sudden, we were a family of four. Our oldest was a big sister. Some people have 9 months to absorb the news. We had 2 days. Granted, we had 9 years and 2 days if we count all the drama surrounding us trying to have children, but still. It was a time for major readjustments. The night feedings started again, the doctor visits, the sleep records, all of it. And she was so different from our first child.
I could record all the ways she has been different, all the funny things she has said, all the scary things we have been through. But that would be long and naptime is almost over. Instead I want to say thanks to God again for bringing her into our lives. For stretching me in ways I need to be stretched, for teaching me things I didn't know I needed to learn. I am amazed (and sometimes frustrated) at how different we are, and how precious she is. I am blessed beyond reason to be a part of her life. I am proud of the person that she is and will become.
Happy Birthday, Jo.


No comments:

Post a Comment