Thursday, November 15, 2012

Facebook-My Frenemy

So I'm debating whether to quit Facebook or not.

It's not that I don't like it.  Although the articles about losing all our privacy does freak me out.

It's that I like it too much.  I get to connect daily with people I haven't seen in years.  Or days.  Doesn't really matter.  Being at home these last few years raising my young'uns was amazing.  But a little isolating.  And I live far from my hometown and college.  It's nice to hear from people.  Even their smallest blurbs make me feel close.  And I can keep up with new friends.  Or old volleyball players.  Or people I've never met but who inspire me.

But sometimes I sit down mid-chore.  Look at the clock and it's two hours later.  And I have NO idea what I was doing before I sat down.  My mind has freed itself of any thoughts.  One time, I burned lunch.  Twice. In a 10 minute period because I got distracted.  Once I left the kids' lunchboxes on the counter.  All night.  With their lunch for the next day in them.  I had to throw it all out and start again in the morning. I can't tell you how many times I put the kids to bed, sit at the computer for a minute, look up and it's 11pm.  The dishes, leftover dinner, and floor are all still waiting...

So over Thanksgiving I'm shutting down the computer.  I'm going to decide how addicted I am.  If I can't live without it, I'll probably shut my FB account down.  At least for awhile.  I need balance.  And baby, I don't have that right now.

The good news is that I will probably write on this blog more often.  When my insanity needs an outlet, it doesn't care if it expresses itself on FB or here.  It's good either way.

I checked my FB account, and I guess I've threatened to do this before.  I'm writing about it so you can hold me accountable.  Because I'm irresponsible and apparently have an addictive personality to posts about babies and food and football.

OK.  So here goes nothing-----

1 comment:

  1. I hope your break is profitable... but not so profitable that you leave us altogether, unless you plan to blog - a LOT. If all the sane people leave, what will the rest of us do?

    ReplyDelete